Nebraska Salvage Title

In the state of Nebraska, insurance companies have the authority to declare a vehicle a total loss if your automobile is in an accident. If your insurance claims the total loss or the word salvage has been stamped on the title, it is illegal to operate your vehicle on any road in Nebraska. What this means is that your original registration on your vehicle has been cancelled, and you'll need to remove your plates off your automobile.

If the vehicle is restored, it has to be inspected before a Rebuilt Title will be issued. A rebuilt vehicle with a NE Salvage Rebuilt Title can be driven on the highways. Please note that your vehicle can't be re-titled until it passes a Salvage Inspection.

Sponsored Link Ad

1: Get Started with Online Application Assistance

2: By mail

Some drivers prefer to handle the renewal process by mail, rather than taking advantage of assistance services, visiting the DMV in person, or via available online services. Service by mail is available with limitations. Read below for additional details or visit your local DMV.

3: Via a DMV office

If your specific needs require an in-person visit, most, if not all, driver license services can be handled at your local DMV office. Varying DMV offices sometimes supply different types of services so you will need to check before your visit to make sure the DMV closest to you provides the service you require. In addition, you can call to see if your DMV allows you to make a personal appointment.

Nebraska Salvage Titles

In the state of Nebraska a vehicle is deemed a total loss by an insurance company if repairing the vehicle or rebuilding the vehicle costs between 75 percent and 91 percent of its pre-damaged cash value as determined by your insurance company. Once claimed as a total loss, your salvaged vehicle will be assigned a NE Salvaged Title. Your salvaged vehicle must be rebuilt or restored and pass inspection before it can be registered to be driven on the highways.

To learn more about Nebraska Salvage Titles, read below:

Applying for a Nebraska Salvage Certificate of Title

In the state of Nebraska, the owner of a salvaged vehicle can apply for an Original Nebraska Salvage Title at the local NE DMV branch. You as the owner of the salvage vehicle have to file for the Salvage Certificate of Title within thirty (30) days after the total loss claim. Once the NE Salvage Certificate of Title is issued, you are required to have a Vehicle Inspection performed and a title issued that will be branded Previously Salvaged.

From a Nebraska Salvage Vehicle Title to Regular Vehicle Title

Once your salvaged vehicle in Nebraska is rebuilt and/or repaired, it can be titled and registered for road use again. You'll need to go to your local Nebraska DMV branch and complete a NE Certificate of Title, checking the appropriate salvage box on the form. You'll need to bring the following with you when turning in your application:

  • Current Nebraska salvage title
  • Original receipts for all replaced parts
  • Salvage inspection paperwork

When these steps are completed, pay the appropriate titling fee and receive your new title.

Title an Abandoned Vehicle in Nebraska

An abandoned vehicle title in Nebraska can be claimed by anyone, as long as the owner does not come forward to claim it. To claim an abandoned vehicle and title it, you must first report the abandoned vehicle to your local Nebraska law enforcement authorities who will investigate and try to contact the owner. If the owner has not come forward for at least 60 days, you may file for a NE Title/and or Registration.

To see if the vehicle you're trying to claim falls under these guidelines, please visit