Change of Name on Nebraska Car Registration

Have you recently gotten married, divorced, or had to change your legal name? The Nebraska DMV recommends that you change the name on your NE car registration as soon as possible. Select from the options below to get started.

Sponsored Link Ad

1: Get Started with Online Application Assistance

2: By mail

Some drivers prefer to handle the renewal process by mail, rather than taking advantage of assistance services, visiting the DMV in person, or via available online services. Service by mail is available with limitations. Read below for additional details or visit your local DMV.

3: Via a DMV office

If your specific needs require an in-person visit, most, if not all, driver license services can be handled at your local DMV office. Varying DMV offices sometimes supply different types of services so you will need to check before your visit to make sure the DMV closest to you provides the service you require. In addition, you can call to see if your DMV allows you to make a personal appointment.

Name Change On Nebraska Car Registration

Any individual who wants to change their name must send your request for a name change to a Nebraska County court. You must supply evidence supporting a need for a name change. Such evidence can be something like a marriage document or a divorce document. Other evidence may include a valid restraining order. If you are a child requesting a name change, you must show proof of your parents' or guardians' consent. If the court approves your request for a name change, you will receive a notice from the Social Security Administration (SSA) requesting that you change your name on your social security card as well. Once you have done this, please visit a local DMV office so your vehicle registration shows your new legal name.