Name Change On a Nebraska Drivers License

Have you recently gotten married, divorced, or had to change your legal name? The state DMV recommends that you change the name on your Nebraska drivers license as soon as possible. Select from the options below to get started.

Sponsored Link Ad

1: Get Started with Online Application Assistance

2: By mail

Some drivers prefer to handle the renewal process by mail, rather than taking advantage of assistance services, visiting the DMV in person, or via available online services. Service by mail is available with limitations. Read below for additional details or visit your local DMV.

3: Via a DMV office

If your specific needs require an in-person visit, most, if not all, driver license services can be handled at your local DMV office. Varying DMV offices sometimes supply different types of services so you will need to check before your visit to make sure the DMV closest to you provides the service you require. In addition, you can call to see if your DMV allows you to make a personal appointment.

Changing Your Name on Your Nebraska Drivers License

You will need to change your name at the Social Security office before your name change will reflect on your drivers license. 

Visit the Social Security Administration's website to request the required documents to begin the name change process.

You may need:

  • Marriage document
  • Divorce decree
  • Certificate of Naturalization showing a new name or Court-ordered name change
  • U.S. citizenship (If you have not established your citizenship with the United States you will need proof of your immigration status including your Department of Homeland Security permission to work in the United States.)

Download, Print and fill out this form. Then take or mail your completed application and documents to your local Social Security office. All documents must be originals - copies are not accepted.

At the DMV
Take the Social Security change to your local DMV when changing your name for drivers license in Nebraska.

You may need documents such as:

  • Social Security card
  • Proof of identity
  • Proof of residence
  • Marriage decree showing name change
  • Court order with name change

How to: